Dr. Lana Nelson shares a few random and not so random thoughts and insights from a general surgeon practicing in the Heartland as well as highlights from a plant based diet and lifestyle

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Baby Blogger

Okay, so I have to admit I am way behind on the whole blogging thing. From a physician and surgeon who embraces change when it comes to my professional career, I have been reluctant to embrace certain technologies of the web. Sure, I have used "e-mail" faithfully since 1995, just shortly after it became widely available, but I have been admittedly slow progressing past that point. Yes, I know how to use such applications as Powerpoint, Picassa and Google calendar, but beyond that, I am a computer, software, and web novice.

My first memories of the concept of blogging are relatively new. My sister, who is my scrapbooking partner in crime, has talked about blogs for quite some time. Her use of blogs spans from paper crafting and stamping techniques to sports to "freebies." Although she has never ventured into the world of blogging as a host, she is an avid and regular visitor to various sites. I am amazed by not only the wealth and breadth of information that she is able to retrieve, but by the simple fact that blogging allows any average Jane (or Joe) who wants to share thoughts, insights, information, or simply journaling with a world of people who are willing to read.


So as I begin this blogging journey, I have a few questions that remain to be answered:

1. Will anyone be interested in what I have to say?
2. Who will be interested in what I have to say? Will it be friends and family who just wants to keep up? Or will it be past and future patients curious about who I am? Or will it be the information seeker who believes I have something worthwhile to share? Or will it be other health care professionals seeking knowledge? Or worse yet, will it be no one?
3. Will I be able to find enough topics to talk/write about?
4. What are the rules of blogging? Do I have to post every day? Every week? Every month?
5. Will I have the ability to share and ultimately educate, inform, or entertain?
6. Will I be able to maintain regular postings in the midst of what seems like an already full schedule?

So my goal-stated to you and as a proclamation of the intent of this blog- is to focus discussions on topics related to surgery and health with likely recurring themes of nutritional issues, obesity related issues, and minimally invasive surgery. I reserve the right to present the occasional personal insight into family, hobbies, entertainment, local and world news, etc.

I have to give credit to this idea for a blog to Buckeye Surgeon. I ran across his blog while doing a web search a while back, and was interested in the idea of sharing thoughts and experiences with the public at large. I have been considering the idea for a few months now, so here it goes.....If you have any suggestions along the way, comments, encouragements, or snide remarks, I would be happy to have your input.

8 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! (I even get a mention) You're in my google reader, so I'll see your comments when you post.

    Here are some ideas about getting the word out on your blog...Add it to your business card, post it somewhere in your office so current & future patients who are interested can check it out, include it on the OWLO website, include it on the Oklahoma bloggers site (a listing of bloggers from OK), let your college & med school friends & contacts know about it, include it in the Arnold directory :). That's it for now, but I keep thinking about.

    P.S. Ignore supern8. You can always require comments to be approved to weed out the bad ones. :)

    Pen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! It's nice to see another female surgeon in the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pen- thanks for the supportive comments. Great idea on the Oklahoma bloggers site. My Ring id # 1017 to join. I am planning to link from our website soon, but I want this to mature just a tad before I widely promote it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to your blogs about health. I have vowed this year not to go on a diet but to eat and live healthy. Seems my problem is not in the knowing what to do...but in the DOING. Looking forward to you blog. - Janet - seeoklahoma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you from Rlbates blog. Nice to see another Oklahoma Blogger!
    Welcome to the blogsphere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog by reading Buckeye Surgeon. I think its great that a surgeon from Oklahoma is blogging! I am an undergrad at OU and I am pre-med so its nice to see a take on surgery locally. Keep it up, I will be a regular reader.

    ReplyDelete